- Adult Entertainment
- Animal Care Facilities
- Arbovirus Sentinel Chicken Surveillance
- Biomedical Waste
- Body Piercing
- Drowning Prevention
- Food Safety and Sanitation
- Group Care
- Healthy Beaches
- Indoor Air and Mold
- Mobile Home and RV Parks
- PACE EH
- Pools and Spas
- Sanitary Nuisances
- Well Construction
The main objective of the Group Care Program is to minimize the risk of illness and injuries in a group-type setting. Children, elderly and ill persons living in group care facilities are at a high risk for diseases. Inspections ensure good sanitary and safety practices related to the construction, operation and maintenance of group care facilities in order to reduce the risk of transmitting disease to residents, workers, and visitors.
While the Florida Department of Health in Brevard County does not license these facilities, we are responsible for conducting physical plant/sanitation inspections for many of them. This office conducts inspections for all schools, community based residential facilities (adult family care homes, assisted living facilities, crisis stabilization units, homes for special services, hospices, intermediate care facilities, residential treatment facilities licensed by the Agency for Health Care Administration, short-term residential treatment centers licensed by the Department of Children and Families, and transitional living facilities), and child caring agencies within Brevard County. Certain facilities also require food service licenses through our office as well as limited use drinking water permits (when applicable). If a facility is utilizing an onsite sewage treatment and disposal system (OSTDS) for wastewater disposal, an OSTDS inspection is required with a new or replacement system, if flow is altered, if a system is repaired, or with ownership changes. If the facility has a commercial kitchen, an OSTDS operating permit may be required also.
New facilities should complete a Group Care/School Inspection Request Form and submit it with the appropriate fee, if applicable (fee information located on inspection request form), to the Florida Department of Health in Brevard County to request an inspection for licensing purposes. Annual inspections (after initial licensing inspection) are conducted during the October 1 to September 30 inspection cycle.
Community Based Residential Facility Food Service Plan Review Requirements:
- Tier I community based residential facilities as outlined in Chapter 64E-12, Florida Administrative Code (F.A.C.) having a capacity of 5 or fewer are not required to complete a food service plan review. Adult Family Care Homes, regardless of size, are considered tier I facilities.
- Tier II community based residential facilities as outlined in Chapter 64E-12, F.A.C. having a capacity of 6-10 residents are required to obtain food service plan review approval prior to opening a new facility or before renovation of an existing facility, but will not be issued a separate food service license.
- Tier III community based residential facilities as outlined in Chapter 64E-12, F.A.C. having a capacity of 11 or more are required to obtain a separate food service license with our office which requires plan review approval prior to food service license application payment submittal. For more information on this topic visit the Florida Department of Health in Brevard County Food Safety and Sanitation page. Hospices, regardless of size, are considered tier III facilities.
- A Food Establishment Plan Review Guide must be submitted with all supporting documents (when plan reviews are required).
- Plan review fee is $40.00/hour (one hour minimum) - $40.00 to be submitted at time of plan review guide submittal.
For more information on group care facilities in the State of Florida, please visit http://www.floridahealth.gov/environmental-health/group-care-facilities/index.html.
- Community Based Residential Facility Rules - Chapter 64E-12, F.A.C.
- Employee Handwashing Sign
- Food Establishment Plan Review Guide
- Group Care Program Preparedness Toolkit
- Group Care/School Inspection Request Form
- Sanitation Standards in K-12 Private Schools - Chapter 6A-2.0040, F.A.C.
- Sanitation Standards in Public Schools - Chapter 6A-2.0010, F.A.C.
*Note: This page contains materials in the Portable Document Format (PDF). The free Adobe Reader may be required to view these files.