Epidemiology (Epi) is the field of medicine that deals with the control of communicable disease (reportable diseases), including outbreaks in the community. The Epidemiology Department of the Florida Department of Heath in Brevard County is the instrumental prevention key in the following service areas:
- Investigating, intervening and monitoring the incidence/occurrence of illnesses in Brevard County. Investigation includes identifying an agent, source, time, mode of transmission and persons involved.
- Monitoring reportable diseases reported by health care professionals in Brevard County and assisting them in managing new and emerging infectious diseases.
- Providing education and consultation to health care professionals, community groups and individuals is an important function of the epidemiology team.
Download a copy of the Reportable Disease List for the types of diseases that must be reported to the Health Department.
- Disease Prevention Tips-Provides information on hand washing, hygiene, food preparation, and disinfection.
- Epi in Your Community-Provides Epi outreach information.
- Rabies Information-Everything you need to know about rabies and how to report an animal bite.
*Note: This page contains materials in the Portable Document Format (PDF). The free Adobe Reader may be required to view these files.