Special Needs Shelters
2565 Judge Fran Jamieson Way
Viera, FL 32940
What is a Special Needs Shelter?
A Special Needs Shelter is a place to go, when you have no other sheltering option. It is a shelter of last resort and should only be used as a back-up to your personal sheltering plan.
A Special Needs Shelter provides more care and supervision than a general shelter to help meet your special needs during an evacuation.
To the extent possible under emergency conditions, the Special Needs Shelter will provide a safe sheltering environment and basic assistance to maintain your level of health.
Service animals are allowed. Their care is the responsibility of the owner.
Individuals who elect to use a Special Needs or other public shelter should bring with them items such as cots, bedding, medicine, medical supplies, and food supplies, preparing to be self-sufficient for 72 hours.
What Should I Expect?
A Special Needs Shelter does not provide the comfort or convenience of a home or hotel, nor does it provide the level of care found in a medical facility.
A shelter may be in a school or other public facility. It may be crowded, noisy and boring.
You can expect the following:
- Food and water. If you want or need special food, you must bring it with you. Food must be non-perishable.
- Basic medical assistance and monitoring. Complex medical equipment or care is not available.
- An area for you and your caregiver to sleep.
- Back-up electricity for light and essential medical equipment.
What Do I Bring?
Please review the Special Needs Shelter Checklist for a list of items to bring with you to a Special Needs Shelter.
Am I Eligible? The answer is "You may be" if:
- You have special medical needs but do not require hospitalization.
- You cannot be accommodated in a regular shelter.
- You need assistance with basic everyday tasks.
- You have a chronic condition that requires assistance.
For a Special Needs Shelter Application or additional information, please call the Brevard County Office of Emergency Management at 321-637-6670 or visit https://www.brevardfl.gov/EmergencyManagement/BePrepared/Step3HaveAPlan/SpecialNeeds